Old 01-01-14, 06:25 PM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Many years ago, I organized a day of mountain biking for a bunch of my friends who belonged to the same road club. We had a great time and had fun chasing my 18 year old son who was light years ahead of all of us in ability off road. At the end of the day one of the women who was with us told me that I rode like someone who had no long term life plans. My view is that to get better at something you have to push the envelope sometimes. Mostly it works out, sometimes it doesn't
That's true. I ride off road motorcycles as well and the same applies. You have to push a little past your comfort level to become a better rider. That's fine when I was in my 20's, but I'm now in my 40's and it takes 3 times as long to heal from injuries now so I've scaled back to only ride within my comfort level.

Same goes for cycling. I gave up mountain biking. Just to many injuries. Road biking, I listen to my gut. If I feel like I'm going too fast, I slow down. Cooking a curve too hard, I back off. It's kept me injury free since starting road biking. I can't apply it to mountain biking as I tend to lose all common sense when on one of those.