Old 01-05-14, 10:18 AM
dscheidt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Giant Doofus
Thanks! I didn't think that sounded right.

My problem now is that Memphis doesn't have a culture of transportation cycling, so I'm having trouble finding an LBS that can answer basic questions like this. Even if I figure out on my own which wheel/hub to order, I'm going to have a heck of a time finding a shop I trust to install it.
There's nothing terribly exotic in a bike that's used for transportation, versus one that's used for anything else. So, if you can find a shop that's good with bikes, and who are interested in the project (or at least, indifferent and not actively hostile), you can tell them what you want, and they'll manage it. Installing a wheel with a disc brake and a generator is no different than installing a wheel with just disc brakes, except there's a wire that plugs in. Other things, like racks and fenders, are easy enough for someone with some mechanical ability to install, even if they've never done it before.

You might have to do some research or ask questions here, to know what you want or what's possible, but that's not surprising. There are just too many products for everyone to keep track of, and you're not the mainstream customer.

The other alternative is to do work for yourself. That might not be a bad idea, anyway, at least enough for basic work.