dhender02

Bikes: Felt Z85 & Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Penny4
I'll chime in on Trek since that's where I started

You could probably get a road bike from them starting around $800, though it is base model (Trek 1.1). Their FX hybrid line is also where a lot of folks start, maybe a 7.4 or 7.5 FX. Giant and Specialized will have similar models and prices.

Best thing to do is pick a shop and go for some test rides! Let the LBS know what kind of riding you want to do and they can help with selection. They may have older year models available which can get you a great deal. As Gary says, now is a good time to shop!
+1 I started biking, and still biking on a budget. So this is exactly what I did, I purchased a Trek FX 7.3 (~$675) when I first started out 2011.. I absolutely loved, and still love it!! This past October I purchased my first roadie, Felt Z85 (~$1400), which I absolutely love also. IMHO, I think you're on the right course to get a decent hybrid first, then graduate to a better road or mountain (whatever your biking needs) bike once you're sure you gonna stick with it and when you need more from your bike. I still ride my hybrid, on some of the more gravel trails and casual riding with wifey (i.e. neighborhood, boardwalk in AC, VA beach, etc.). I used my road bike for my solo rides, charity rides, tours, and group rides.

IMHO, the most important thing is to select a LBS that understands your goals, needs, budget, and one you feel comfortable with establishing a long term relationship with. LBS knowledge and assistance is invaluable for newbies, like us...

Last edited by dhender02; 01-05-14 at 12:01 PM.