View Single Post
Old 01-06-14, 09:38 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I would guess 40 to 50 years, but it will be a gradual and sporadic process. The first large carfree city will probably be Washington, DC. Anything else, I will answer on the thread about predictions, where it's more relevant.
Very few American cities have retained their historic core, that is' a dense urban center, where there are a lot of personal interactions. Highway construction and misguided urban renewal(removal) destroyed a lot of neighborhoods. In Boston it was the consruction of the Central Artery, and the extension of the Mass Pike into the city which did the most damage to the city. Fortunately the extension of I95 into the city was stopped; There is now a nice bike path along the proposed route. The central Artery is now underground. Boston is a great city to walk in; cycling, still not so much.

I wouldn't be surprised if automotive traffic was restricted in some parts of Boston and Cambidge; A lot of motorists wouldn't object because it is next to impossible to drive there.

I don't know about DC, I've never really enjoyed walking there.