Old 01-06-14, 12:48 PM
iTripped

Bikes: Phil Barge Pista SC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by europa
Ohh fook, do I resemble this. It seems that everytime I miss a stupidly long ride on my bike I get irretrievably fatter and terms like 'stamina' and 'fitness' are something from some foreign language that obviously doesn't apply to me. Of course, I could stop drinking that alcohol stuff, and cut back on buns and breads and chocolate and such like (interestingly, I'm not a fried fast food junkie), and make sure I a gazillion miles on the bike every day with sessions in the gym as well.
However, I happen to like the above mentioned foods and drinks.
I also have a life outside of a leather saddle jammed up my bum.
I'm averse to physical pain so the gym doesn't even get a mention ... beside, why would any rational person trap themselves in such a stupidly artificial environment. For heaven's sake people, get out and do so real exercise and build some real muscles, not the pretend **** you get in a gym.
I've also reached an age where anything I've gained will disappear faster than I gain it ... except for fat cells. Those who were lucky enough to build the muscles and fitness needed to be slim and hyperfit in their youth will never understand what it's like for those of us who, while not being overweight or otherwise in our younger years, will struggle to become super fit and who will never maintain it.
Your fitness at 30 is the best you will ever achieve in later life. You may exceed that for short periods but as soon as the effort slacks off, the fitness and strength will desert you faster than you will ever put it on. Twelve months ago, I was fitter, stronger and faster than I've ever been, at this time, I'm just a fat old bugga because life got in the way. So this year, I have to rebuild what I've lost. Fortunately, it won't be as hard as last time but, it'll go away just as quickly ... and I'll have to start all over again.
Good thing I love the bikes because as sure as eggs, I don't like the process.
So I'm happy to report it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I have had the bike out a couple days now - the weather we are having is basically the opposite of what is going on in the Eastern parts - a nice mild spell. Anyway, it felt great to get on the bike again. I haven't done any distance rides but the sprint to work has been refreshing.