Old 01-08-14, 08:01 PM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by joewein
"Controlling for ALL variables" can be tricky. As Alex Hutchinson wrote in Runner's World about a study that adjusted for several variables:
And the studies about demonstrable negative effects are not about these people...

They are about people who do much more than this, much...

I realize you have reasons to believe what you believe, but if you read the links I posted... They showed both enzyme they use as marker for heart damage in all sorts of of heart attacks and other cardio events (even impacts to the chest)... It's remarkably reliable indicator as it is released when heart muscle DIES... Also they were able to directly observe cardiac muscle scaring... pretty definitive.

But the population was special. Very rare air people. World class competitors.

It is likely that the more occasional marathoner would not experience this, unless they are predisposed. I would bet that it is more likely in those that prepare properly what ever that means as it would likely be influenced by individual variation.

Please also understand that it also positively effects other risks... So some come out ahead, some not. You pays your money, and you make your choices. Just do so with eye's wide open.

If longevity is the goal, then the amount of running required is very low per week. But that's not everyone's goal. And that's ok.

Me for instance, I'm way too heavy for maximum longevity. But I really like being strong. 9 times out of 10, I'll be the strongest guy (in bull strength, as there are many kinds of strength) in the building, even at 47, even in walmart... I won't live as long. But I live the way I want but I have no illusions, the strength costs me life span. The weight costs me a lot in food, more in bicycle gear, but most in years... I do have to say pulling 575 (my max) was a hell of a thing. I did 819 once on a Hammer Strength squat machine, that felt damn good too...

A guy at work is going for max longevity though extreme calorie restriction. Shown in some lower animal to extend life. Unfortunately, it failed to replicate in higher animals. Well, he's emaciated, depressed, indecisive, unmotivated, and frankly lost his masculinity... Too high a price in my book.