View Single Post
Old 01-09-14, 02:48 PM
tushup

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What to do with my 1983 Torker 280x?

I've been reading some older posts in regards to "antique" BMX bikes, and was wondering what some of you think may be the value of mine. I have a 1983 Torker 280x that I recently took to the local bike shop to have new tires, grips, and a seat put on it, thinking that I may ride it a little here and there. The guy who owns and operates the shop was basically drooling over it. I've had my ol pal up in the attic since I started driving in 1985. I used to race this bike but took extremely good care of it. Since I only bought it in 1983 and raced two years before four wheels and an engine took over my life, it is practically mint right down to almost no damage on the ORIGINAL stickers. The bike shop owner and I talked about what should be replaced, and we came up with some new bluewalls to replace the snakebellies that had dry rotted a little (I still kept those!), some blue AME grips to replace my pink Mushrooms (Kept those too.), and a nice black gel cushion seat to replace my broken blue SR (Also kept). EVERYTHING else is original. Torker 280x frame and forks with ALL original stickers still intact, GT Pro handlebars with the original sticker still intact, silver SR hubs and SUGO rims, blue SR sprocket, seatpost and neck, Takagi 180mm crank, blue MX brakes, silver Beartrap pedals WITH the endcaps still in place. Needless to say the yellow, blue, silver combo is killer! Hard pressed to find a scratch ANYWHERE on this thing.
So, it hangs from my ceiling with nothing to do and before I put it up on eBay, I'm curious to hear some feedback in regards to my bike. The guy down at the shop also said not to let it go before I give him a fair shot at owning it. He has a few down there as well...i.e. a sweet 1981 Redline, and a Hutch I don't know what year, so he is an officianado as well. I've seen parts for sale here and there, but have yet to see one so complete as what I have and so original. Let me know what you all think as I have a figure in my head of what I think I want for it based on how attached I am to it, but, in reality, I know it is probably much less. Obviously I am not in a hurry to get rid of it as I've been holding it for 30 years, but I think given the right price, I would like to see someone else enjoy it. Hell, maybe even some deserving kid might USE it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BMX1.jpg (69.5 KB, 31 views)
BMX1.jpg (102.8 KB, 48 views)
BMX2.jpg (102.2 KB, 39 views)
BMX3.jpg (93.3 KB, 35 views)
BMX4.jpg (93.6 KB, 31 views)
BMX5.jpg (95.9 KB, 31 views)
BMX6.jpg (96.0 KB, 32 views)
BMX7.jpg (96.4 KB, 30 views)
BMX8.jpg (101.0 KB, 32 views)
BMX9.jpg (102.1 KB, 29 views)
BMX10.jpg (101.3 KB, 28 views)
BMX11.jpg (98.2 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by tushup; 01-13-14 at 12:02 PM.