Old 01-10-14, 05:53 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by captaincarrot
Equipment and gear wise we are planning pretty meticulously to be as lightweight and efficient as possible
How light are you going? I have found that as my gear gets lighter and lighter my bike preferences go more and more toward a road bike. Somewhere around 20 pounds of base gear weight, I definitely start preferring to not ride the touring bike. It is quite possible to camp and cook on well under 20 pounds of gear without resorting to really high dollar cuben fiber stuff.

I have found that I can get to the 10-12 pound range if using a bivy and other minimal gear. In a lot of the west I slept on top of the bivy much of the time and only climbed in if it got windy, wet, or cold. Where the bivy doesn't work well is where it is hot and buggy and for places I expect that I take a bug bivy and a very light tarp.

If I take my tent (~$100 Eureka Spitfire 1), it is harder to go really light, but below 20 pounds gear weight is still possible.

Going very light can be quite comfortable and pleasant for those who are so inclined. I know that I enjoy the unladen bike, the lack of stuff to dig through when looking for something, and the generally simplified lifestyle that results. That said it isn't for everyone.

If you pack a bit heavier than your rear racks alone can safely accommodate, a trailer is an option. If this is a one time thing you could sell it after the tour.

If you are going really light you definitely will not need front and rear racks, one or the other will do. Some even manage with a saddle bag and handlebar bag.