Old 01-11-14, 05:59 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dennyd
1. They are just too fragile. I am carfree, and I park/lean by bike in awkward places, use cable locks, etc.
What brand of fenders,and what are you doing to your bike? I've had two polo bikes where I've left the rear PB Freddy on nthe bike during polo play. As I said above,the one got folded up under itself and I popped it back without issue. All I've ever needed to do with any of my fenders is occasionally tighten things and bend struts back into place.

2. They interfere with rack/pannier mounting. I have front and rear Ortlieb rollers, and the rack mounts must be shared with fenders.
3. The rear fender interferes with removing the rear wheel. I have to deflate the rear tire to get it past the bottom bracket fender mount.
These sound like fit issues with your particular bike. I've had fenders go straight on some bikes,had to MacGuyver them on others,and even had one I just couldn't get them on right.

4. The main problem with wet riding (at least here in Dallas) is the wake splashing up from the front tire onto my upper ankle/shin area, and into my shoes. (We have springtime rains that cause 2-3 inches of water on the road). A regular fender does nothing to prevent this.
Mudflap,firm material,down to about 1/2" off the ground. Problem solved.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X