Thread: Khs F20-r
View Single Post
Old 10-02-05, 09:13 AM
v1nce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@ AF. Yeah i am hooked on (bike) info too. Also really dig your bike, was checking out pictures yesterday. I really like the steel and simplicity of the KHS. Some of the tweaks you have done are really inspiring. Your KHS really seems like a bike you could ride for decades without bother. How much Kilometers do you tour a year (ball park) anyway. Looks like you got it kitted out for lots and long distance riding.

As far as touring goes, hmm well unless you are into touring at a relaxt pace i supposse the 3 gears of an SA are prob. too few. Then again some people tour with fixies.

It is also perfectly feasible to carry the inner assembly of an additional SA hub with you while on tour. This will amount to about a Kilo. The cool thing is you have all the spare parts and if you don't feel like taking much apart you can just replace the whole inner assembly and be done with it. This is not too hard or time consuming and pretty much full proof.

The 'Bike Dumpster Diving' situation is pretty crazy (good!) in most NL cities it is perfectly possible to put together a nice mtb, commuter or racer bike from street finds. Stainless steel and chromoly parts, Decent to good Shimano Groupos with some life left in them, Raleigh, Peugeot, Batavus, Giant and other quality frames, Lots of hubs, worn Brooks Saddles, etc etc. can all be found. All you need is some tools, a bit of local knowledge and about 2 to 6 months. But i am all into 20 inch now so picking are slimmer. But hey, i don't really need much of anything anymore. Maybe a few more SA's for future use and a few small bits. It is fun to check.

@ Swift: Damn, that is messed up! I had no idea the "hub situation" was so poor in most North American Locales! Well it was kinda meant to be that Sheldon's store stocked these parts, he loves English bikes as well.