Old 01-13-14, 09:50 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
True story - funny now. Several years ago I was riding my favorite mountain bike trail up to 4 Corners/Santa Ana Mountains. The first 3 miles are paved. It was very cold overnight and that morning in the 30's. Towards the end of the pavement is a waterfall and water spills over onto the pavement. I did not see it until I went down - black ice, slick as snot. Thankfully not hurt but had a hard time getting off the ice and dragging my bike to safety. I knew alot of other riders were behind me so I stayed and yelled out the warning "BLACK ICE - go towards the right (where sun had been shining). Riders just ignored me and one after one kept riding over the ice and slipping. Some got hurt badly. After a while of no one listening to me, I just sat down in the sun and watched the festivities; was quite hilarious there for awhile until the sun finally reached the ice patch and it could be seen - then the riders avoided it. I think maybe because in CA ice is not something we deal with much as why the riders ignored me - or they were just jerks and wouldn't listen... oh well.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.