Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Fat Boy
Maybe avoiding gluten is a knee-jerk approach at eating by me. I honestly have not noticed any big difference since I stopped eating gluten. I don't know that I have any rock-solid reasons for thinking it could be bad for me. I do have some circumstantial things that have lead me to this thought process, though. My mother and my 2 sisters all have autoimmune conditions. One of them has had pancreas issues and 2 have rheumatoid arthritis. Gluten does create an autoimmune response in many people, although you're completely right when you say the science is not settled. Is it related to their conditions? I don't know. I can say that autoimmunity is something that is prevalent in my family, though, so it doesn't seem a large stretch to avoid things that tend to create an autoimmune response. That's my logic, shoot if full of holes if you want.

My basic dietary approach is to eat food that have as little processing as possible and is as close to 'natural' as possible. I don't go out of my way to eat a raw diet. I cook. This does mean that I tend to avoid pre-packaged foods, though. I also get grass-fed meat/butter and eggs from the farmer's market. I eat a lot of produce vegetables, but I get my fair share of meat as well. I try to eat more protein than most people do. If this means more meat, I'm OK with that as long as the meat is good quality. I eat a lot of fish.

Corn tortillas are something I don't want me or my tacos to be without, so I eat them. I make bread with a combination of almond and buckwheat flour and I eat that. I have various types of dairy. All of these are processed foods to one extent or another. They don't seem to cause me an issue, so I don't really worry about it. If they did, I'd reconsider.
My wife has celiac disease so for her the science is settled... the continued exposure to gluten and gliadin would eventually kill her while diminishing her quality of life.

Even those without diagnosed celiac disease can experience inflammatory and autoimmune effects from grains (primarily wheat)... one might find it interesting that an effective treatment for plantars fasciitis is the elimination of gluten from the diet as it appears to be a contributory factor to what is an inflammatory condition.

Complications from arthritis can also be mediated by eliminating gluten / gliadin from the diet... gluten is added to durum flour to make it easier to bake with so our modern intake of these wheat proteins is much higher than it has ever been which may be the cause of the increased diagnosis of celiac disease.