View Single Post
Old 10-02-05, 06:18 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Yesterday (Saturday 10/1) the family and I did a metric century to benifit a local middle school music department. The loop was essentially a flat one, with some rollers and a few moderate climbs tossed in. We started in Dublin, CA, looped through the vineyards of Livermore over to Patterson Pass, and back over by Mt Diablo. There were some headwinds, but it was an excellent ride with excellent weather. A good time was had by all. Attached is a picture of Mt. Diablo from a distance, looking west.

On Sunday (10/2), I climbed Mt. Diablo, participating in the "Diablo Challenge". While Mt. Diablo is no Mt. Haleakala , it was something I'd never done and had always thought about doing. So, off I went. It was a pretty fair grunt, but it really wasn't that bad (except perhaps the last 200 yards ). 3300' of climbing in 10.8 miles, and I did it in 1:50. Not a record to be sure, but not Dead Ass Last, either. Since it was officially a race, my finish was officially recorded as #795 out of a field of 1100. Attached is a pic of me at the top.

Descending in a peleton was a real eye opener......

S. J. Perelman