View Single Post
Old 01-25-14, 01:58 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4366 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
You said it here:

Here you are suggesting that there is a positive correlation between MHL and "active bicycle advocacy".

I don't believe you have any idea whether there is a positive correlation at all.
Look at the map, and search for active bicycle advocacy and you'll see a correlation. Of course it's not 100%, but it's there. Nor do I mean to imply that correlation means causation. I leave that to readers.

In any case, how do you think MHLs happen, Lighting strikes. The published pro helmet literature of bicycle advocates, and that which grows out of it is the basis used to support these proposals.

MHL's are further supported by bicycle advocates who keep repeating the message that bicycling in traffic is dangerous as a rational for demands for segregated infrastructure. One doesn't have to ask for specific action. One need only create the right climate and the weather takes care of itself.

But, let's be real here. While I don't say anybody here on this forum is pro MHL's, helmet users need to honestly ask themselves how opposed to they they are, and why. As a helmet wearer you aren't affected, and as believer that helmet use is so critical to bicycle safety (only you know how important you consider helmet use, and helmet wearers vary from a can't hurt to a absolutely critical to safety attitude) would something that got others who didn't see the light to be safer be such a bad thing. After all it's for their own good?

BTW- I know a great many helmet wearers who consider it a purely personal choice, never proselytize, and understand that reasonable, intelligent people might choose to ride without a helmet. Problem is I don't see that many posting here.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.