View Single Post
Old 01-25-14, 02:08 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
Look at the map, and search for active bicycle advocacy and you'll see a correlation. Of course it's not 100%, but it's there. Nor do I mean to imply that correlation means causation. I leave that to readers.
It looks like the correlation is coastal (but you'd have to look a bit deeper to really know).

And, except for some urban areas, a lot of the states that have child MHL, the populations don't ride bicycles. (And, except for maybe, NY and MA, it's not adult MHL.) It seems that many anti-helmet people have no problems with children wearing helmets. Seattle, WA is one place with bicycling advocacy that has an adult MHL.

I've basically sworn off this thread as pointless, but for the record, I never said (accused?) that bicycle advocates were asking or would ask for MHLs. I said they couldn't be counted on to speak against them.
So, you are kind-of saying that "bicycle advocates were asking or would ask for MHL".

But, let's be real here. While I don't say anybody here on this forum is pro MHL's,
You haven't said this but it's common for people here to guess/imply/assume that "pro helmet" people here are for MHL.

People who do that are not going to convince "pro helmet" people of anything!

If one is truly interested in convincing people, one should not keep saying that one's opponent has a position that they don't have!

But, let's be real here. While I don't say anybody here on this forum is pro MHL's, helmet users need to honestly ask themselves how opposed to they they are, and why. As a helmet wearer you aren't affected, and as believer that helmet use is so critical to bicycle safety (only you know how important you consider helmet use, and helmet wearers vary from a can't hurt to a absolutely critical to safety attitude) would something that got others who didn't see the light to be safer be such a bad thing. After all it's for their own good?
I don't have a problem with this. It isn't putting words in people's mouths.

Last edited by njkayaker; 01-25-14 at 02:36 PM.