jj1091
Mike J

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot PX-50L, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1974 Peugeot PX-8

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Duane Behrens
Thanks for that. Enjoyed your account of the rebuild shop. Hope the owner accepts your offer to help organize. He'll benefit, and you may find a treasure.

I've never applied Velocal decals to a bike before. I expect it's a one-shot deal, so I'm a little nervous about it. The directions recommend AGAINST clear coating over the decal once it's on. Not sure why. They didn't have a "Sport" decal that I could see, so I guess the top tube will just run naked. Any thoughts or advice on this step are appreciated.

Also, I picked up a new Shimano FD yesterday to replace the ruined original. $29 in the box. Hate to spend the money but I just don't have time to look around for a good used one. The old derailleur was a "high-normal." This one, as all FDs are now, is a "low-normal," in which the spring is oriented toward bringing the chain down to the small chain ring. (Apparently, the "high-normal" was tried for a while to make the shifters operate in the same direction to upshift and downshift.) Anyway, I hope I can suss out how to mount this "alternate" system. Thanks.

I've never used Velocals, either, and I've never done any clearcoating on any bikes I've had. I use a car polish, one of those "Once a Year" polishes, and I get a fairly high shine out of it, and it'll never peel off or have some bad reaction to a particular paint type or surface prep. If I had a new powdercoat finish, I wouldn't want any clear coat to touch it. Let the powdercoat speak for itself, and heck, I don't expect to keep a bike long enough for a future condition problem on clear-coating or non-clear-coating to matter, anyway. Every used car I've ever had that had been clear-coated ended up with peeling clear-coat all over it. I don't care much for clear-coating.

Some decals will react badly to a clearcoat, shrinking or loosening of the plastic/vinyl material in the decal, depending on the type of paint applied. Any water-type decals are far too fragile for a clearcoat to use. But, with any decal you have to be careful not to use any sort of high-abrasive polish, since it can easily remove the graphics from the plastic. Me, I'd just use a nice wax over your frame and decals. Brand new paint, brand new decals, why take a chance?