Old 01-25-14, 02:39 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Part of my love of bike touring is that it's a practical expression of my love of simplicity. I carry that through to my gear and so I loved it when Smartphones arrived because I no longer had to carry multiple bits of electronics, my phone was my phone, camera, music player, internet browser, emailer and e-reader. Having only one device (apart from a small radio as the iPhone still doesn't work well as a radio over 3G) means that I have simple needs for power and a fully charged 8 oz, 7500mAh, lithium ion battery will keep my iPhone going for five days. I find myself next to a wall socket most days when I stop at cafes, libraries or motels so keeping the battery topped up is easy. My lights (and battery) use AAAs so they are easily purchased along the way if needed. I look at all the solar panels and dynamo hubs and just don't see the need for them unless you will be completely away from civilization for many days at a time.