View Single Post
Old 01-27-14, 11:40 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Standalone View Post
My '85 Raleigh USA touring bicycle is excellent. It's an Alyeska. I paid somewhere in the mid $300s for it in nearly unridden condition on ebay. (orig gold chain & freewheel had no grease, etc...)

Re-branded Reynolds 501 frame, great geometry and correct fittings for touring.

I'm not sure when Taiwanese manufacturing began to put out quality bicycles, but IME, these are definitely very nice, very underrated bicycles. More bikes pass through WRK's hands than mine, but I think that the association with HUFFY alone isn't enough to damn this run of bicycles.
I still regret that I didn't buy an Alyeska when I was working at a Raleigh dealership in the late '80s. Those were fantastic bikes. Not rebranded 501, though; you can be sure that any bike company that paid for genuine Reynolds tubing would use the Reynolds decal.

If you're curious about this, you can check google images for a 1986 Raleigh USA spec sheet. The same page that lists the Reynolds 531 tubing---three main tubes---for the Raleigh Grand Prix shows that the Alyeska used Raleigh 555 tubing, a.k.a. Tange or Ishiwata tubing, with a decal design that was meant to suggest kinship to Reynolds.