View Single Post
Old 01-29-14, 06:21 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by mtalinm
I think I finally met my match this Wednesday. First time I truly wished I had not ridden to work.

It was 5 degrees when I left home. I had done that before, and in snow/ice on my folder with studded tires. I was all layered up as usual.

But the wind. Oh, the wind... I'd swear it was -10 or -15 with wind chill…Never been that cold before.

So, count me among the "deterred" winter commuters :-(

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… I have to salute you, m’, because this week, work and family duties kept me off the bike. So while you were on the road this frigid week, I was posting to Bike Forums about winter cycling.

Among my reasons [to ride in the cold] is to see how well my equipment performs, preparing me to take on further challenges. When I check the temperature in the morning to decide what to wear, I do not factor the wind chill, but just decide by the ambient temperature….My thought is that we get a wind chill just from riding anyways, and I have occasionally stated, “Wind chill is for wimps.”
Yesterday (1/28/14) I did my 14 mile commute at 15° with a head/cross wind of 13 mph (wind chill 0°). FYA, I posted pictures, and some details about my winter gear on the Commuting Forum thread “Cold Commute Selfie.”