Old 01-30-14, 04:11 AM
dmusicant

Bikes: Miyata road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, one big consideration is how it rides. IOW, as stated, the roads I ride, in particular the hill ride I've gotten into again lately, features some very rough ill-paved, deteriorating asphalt roads. Even the city streets here are fairly rough overall. Therefore I ride 27" x 1 3/8" tires, the biggest fluffiest softest tires I can get on my bike. A quick look at Amazon doesn't show any kevlar tires like that. Maybe I should stick with liners and one thorn resistant tube on the back. I'd say that the smoothness of the ride is just as important as the flat-resistance.

Maybe I should give some thought to getting a bike with bigger (thicker) tires, a hybrid of some kind. However, I'm used to Maes handlebars where I have a couple of hand positions for relief. Hybrids and mountain bikes appear to have just one hand position. I don't know if I'd like that.

I'm not going to win any races with liners and a thorn resistant tube in the back and it will be more work to get from point A to point B, but smoothness of the ride and preventing the inconvenience of flats are important considerations.

Last edited by dmusicant; 01-30-14 at 04:15 AM.