usnavystgc
eBike Fan/Extreme DIYer

Bikes: 2013 Motobecane Gran Turismo w/ 24V/900W motor and LiFePO4 30ah pack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jawramik
I'm considering buying an ebike to use as my primary mode of transportation around town (going to and from work, grocery shopping, errands, etc.)

The bike that seems, according to my research, to be best-suited to my needs is the Juiced Rider U500. I like that it seems to have longer range and ride time than many ebikes available, as well as the rear rack and extra power for transporting stuff. It also seems to be a pretty good value, and it seems like it's gotten very positive reviews.

I also have a single-speed road bike that I've considered converting. I figure I can always put front and/or back cargo racks, and I also have a bike trailer I could use for hauling crap.

Are there any other ebikes I might want to consider? Also, would converting my road bike be a better value? I know kits are often less expensive than pre-built ebikes, but what would get me the most bang for my buck?

Here are the features that are most important to me:

-Range of at least 20 miles and ride time of at least one hour per charge (and more is always better)
-Ability to transport stuff, whether it's with trailer, built-in racks, or ad-on racks
-Top speed of at least 15mph
-Throttle
-Less than $4,000

And here are the features that are not important to me (I'm not against them or anything, I just don't care one way or the other):

-Pedal-assist mode
-Multi-speed gearing
-Fancy LED display/computer
-Shock absorbers

I realise that what constitutes the "best" ebike is highly subjective, but I'd appreciate some extra input about what ebikes or kits you think are best-suited to the job.
Hi jawramik,
I have some questions for you.
1) What type of terrain are you going to ride in? Hilly, flat, paved rural, etc
2) How far is is to work?
3) Can you charge at work?
4) What type of winter weather do you typically expect?
5) How much do you weigh (sorry I have to ask that because it makes a huge difference on range and speed).

I ask all these questions because I built an ebike for virtually the same purpose. I have been testing and refining it for 2 yrs now and I'm getting ready to launch my business in March. The cost for everything you mention is approx $3000. Here are a couple pics of what the bike would look like.

The max speed I have achieved is 34.8mph (slight downhill grade), It will propel me at 25mph on a flat surface but, of course higher speed equals less range. It will propel me up any hill here in Bowing Green at 17mph. Your bike will have a 30ah lithium battery pack and a 750 watt motor. That will easily meet your needs (mine has a 900 watt motor). I weigh 225 lbs. All the speed numbers I give you are with me riding and no pedaling.

The ebike is built around a Motobecane Gran Turismo touring bike that is very robust and can accommodate tons of gear/load. Check it out. http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...an_turismo.htm

Please ask me as many questions as you want.