Old 02-02-14, 12:33 AM
Outback Cayucan
Outback Cayucan

Bikes: Carl Strong special blend steel road, Praxis Zayante Carbon 48/32 Di Il, Enve fork, Giant wheels 6/15; '07 Specialized Roubaix road, Proflex 855 MTB, Nishiki International used w/ Giant trainer.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Our family moved to a subdivision created on a former small farm. 1958 in jr. high I started serving the local paper. The subdivision was only a couple of dozen homes and I ventured further afield on nearby country roads. Eventually my route was eight miles and I delivered two PM papers one of which had a Sun. AM edition. Fri. PM collecting was an ordeal. But I handled it. Among my customers were a few farmers. Every farm was posted "No Hunting." I had permission to hunt several excellent places. One especially where I was hired me to help mow the lawn. Mrs. M. served me strawberry shortcake and taught me to drive the Model A flatbed truck. I rode a Schwinn Phantom, emerald green and chrome. It was a tank: slung paper sacks around the seat and luggage carrier on each side of the rear and a large basket on the handlebars. Broke the crank twice. Used to take it across a corn field and a creek on the way home after harvest if it wasn't muddy. I kept at it through high school. Two of my brothers would help me at times. One had a Schwinn similar to mine. When my coaster brake went bad. I pulled it apart to fix it, but couldn't remember how to reassemble it. He was really apprehensive about letting me take his apart so I could figure it out.