Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by IAMAMRA
Your hitting near 90% hr??your pushing it to hard. Try a lower gear?q

I can barely hit 150 (like one time 1 sample spike). Most times a local max is 142-4...

But using the garmin site, I do occasionally touch 81% of max... Not much time over 75% at all. So maybe I've got something to build on... hold 90% max heart rate for short duration (minute or so) seems like a break point in fitness.

Originally Posted by mkadam68
Make sure you've clearly identified your goals with these intervals. You may be doing the wrong ones if your objectives are different. For example, based on what you said above, it appears your objective is simply to have a higher cadence for brief spurts.

In any event here's some initial impressions...
Keep at it. Eventually your legs will get stronger and will respond as needed.
What gearing are you using? With 700c wheels, that's 17mph with a 39x16 gear at 90rpm's.
To improve your leg strength, try a bigger gear. Start in a bigger gear, definitely in your big chainring (in front). a 52x16 at 90rpm's jumps you up to 22mph.
Try intervals on hills with shallow grades, say 2%. To make this even harder, do it with a big gear.
Based on the numbers you listed above, I'm thinking that intervals are just not needed right now. Instead, just ride. Lots. Try riding with others that will push your limits.

Keep on riding!

AH, you're right!
Goals...
all comes down to what am I trying to do.

Objective goals
1) finish 4/12 200k brevet. It has 7800' of climb. I don't care if I DNF due to time, just finishing the course.
2) running start for riding season instead of spending first half trying to get back to where I was at end of last season.
3) finish 8/16 200k brevet and NOT DNF and enjoy as much as possible. Same course as before.
4) hit 250lb while maintaining 500lb dead lift (and other lifts).
5) return to 100 mile per week minimium target.

Squishy goals
1) improve riding capabilities and average speeds.
2) improve climbing.
3) get off BP meds.
4) commute as much as possible.
5) enjoy as many distance rides with SO as possible.
6) facilitate Daughter's adoption of cycling as a sport. Perhaps do a populaire, metric, or century with her near end of season.
7) prepare self to complete TCC New Century 12 week cycle when weather turns bad next year.

The reason for intervals vs. just ride is 2 fold.
First, the cold really inflames my hands and feet due to gout. It Hurts like a MF! I don't have a way to make a call of shame if I commute. Commuting was half of my miles late summer / early winter. If I get cold and it is crippling and I still have to get home that day. This might lay me up for anwhere from a couple to many days recovering.

Second, various studies in various sports report that the safest/fastest way to increase capabilities is intervals. The side benefits of it being most effective in calories per hour, Cardio Vascular improvement, as well as body composition (% body fat to lean body mass). It also gives me a chance to put in the most miles in the time I can ride regardless of weather.

Taller gearing. HMMM... interesting. Looking at the charts I see that I exceed 100 rpm many more times then intended.
I will try a higher gear while improving my abitilty/discipline to hold target cadences...

THANK YOU ALL!
You've given me a good bit to think on and things to try...