Old 02-07-14, 10:40 AM
vespoli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rebuilding wheel -- need help and input w/ rim selection, etc.

Hi folks,

I picked up a few used wheels off c-list, and want to spend the winter months rebuilding a few of them as funds, time and skill permit. I want to start with a front wheel. This example is a 32-hole Velocity Aerohead rim laced to an IRO (formula) hub. Photo:

The braking surface is worn down and needs to be replaced. The hub seems smooth and free of play, so I don't think it needs adjustment or its cartridge bearings replaced. What I want to do is to reuse the hub, spokes and nipples, but reinstall them on a new hoop. From my understanding the ERD on the Aerohead is 602 mm. I pulled the rim tape off and it looks like the spokes are just about flush with the nipples.

This is a spare wheel which may eventually go on a beater bike, and I'm not looking to spend a fortune on a wheel. Basically, I want to learn about building wheels and also have myself a nice spare at the end of the day. So, here are my (I think) questions. Obviously, I'm green and am seeking help, so any and all input is appreciated.

-What are my rim options, if anything other than the Aerohead? Cheaper is better, and stronger is better than lighter. Aerohead rims seem to be around $40 bucks, and while they're got a nice reputation, I would prefer to spend less. CR-18s are bandied about a bit, but from what I've seen, they're 612 mm ERD, which -- if I understand correctly -- would require different spokes, which I don't want to do. I do require a machined brake track.

-Can I reuse the spokes and nipples? Would it be wise to have a few spares on hand? If so, what are your recommendations.

-Tips for rebuilding? I'm familiar with the concept, and have read Sheldon's page extensively, but 1, this will be my first build, and 2, he illustrates a new wheel, not replacing the rim and keeping hub/spokes/nipples. From some of my reading, I should take care to use the same spoke-hub-rim relationship as I build, to basically keep the same spoke in the same hub-hole, just changing the rim. Is this true?

- I know I will need rim tape, a rim, spoke wrench, truing stand and copious patience -- any other tools or supplies I'll need?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
hub_front_red.jpg (15.7 KB, 6 views)