View Single Post
Old 02-07-14, 01:34 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
…There's a belief among some active cyclists that it's somehow morally superior, and/or the belief that we live in a bike vs. car world. I view either as a choice, which we make based on personal considerations. I'm an active daily cyclist, but not anti-car in any way. Get around whatever way makes the most sense for you.
Recently there was this discussion on the thread, “More reasons to commute”:

Originally Posted by bluegoatwoods
I just finished a terrific snow commute. I don't even need to explain why that's likeable; anyone reading this already knows.

But a few people at work, who should know better…looked at me like they just couldn't believe it. …
I think they actually believed that the ride was going to be just awful, but that I couldn't bring myself to admit it to them.

Originally Posted by Walter S
Isn't it odd? I get these looks too, like they don't believe that I actually enjoy it…They're not about to fall for my line of bull about how I'm having fun.

Originally Posted by OrionXavier
Well the difference between a person that makes that assumption (masochism), and yourself (and me), is that presumably you enjoy physical challenges. And they do not.
I replied:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
At least about 20 years ago or so in Boston Magazine, was a cover featuring a runner or maybe it was a cyclist in spandex, with the headline something like “They Exercise and Work Out, and They Think They're Better Than You." I did not read the article, but that cover stuck in my mind. More recently, here in Boston I've heard occasional talk shows on the radio decrying the behavior of cyclists…

I think that here in 21st Century America we cyclists are still a very small and little-understood minority, and disparaging the majority is not a very fruitful approach to spreading the message.