Old 02-08-14, 12:05 AM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
No road racers are using them. But there is no way to know if they are better or not, because the UCI discourages innovation. And you may not see a huge advantage, but if they offer .1% advantage, that's enough to make a difference.
Originally Posted by Niloc
I guess I'm not sure that they offer any advantage to a road racer, or what they do is offset by the disadvantages, so net zero gain.
For road, it would benefit riders in wet conditions.
We all know how well wet carbon rims perform on decents...
They also save your rims, why replace a rim when you can just replace brake pads, or a caliper.
For cross, save your nice carbon race rims from all the grime/muck/debris that gets caught up/works it way in your brake pads over the course of a race.

Any real data to prove disc brakes give you an advantage in a race... No
Practical... IMO Yes.
Give them time to break them in, they're mfairly new to our discipline, we can get real data over the course if the next few years.
Just like any thing new..."gotta work the bugs out".

I guess I should be replacing my disc brakes for drum brakes on my car right about now...