Old 02-12-14, 11:56 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Chitown_Mike
Is the platform that my foot pushes against that important to have a wider base to? Or will a small, technically mountain bike style, pedal work just as well?
I used to be fine (ride a century, ride a 420 mile seven day tour, whatever) with tiny little pedals. In theory the soles of your shoes should be stiff enough that it doesn't matter, although some walkable recreational shoes are less stiff and it might.

Right now I am looking at a few options and wanted to know what my fellow C&A folks have used.
Ultegra PD-6500 single sided SPDs. Classic silver. Worked fine but wore out.

Ritchey Road Logic single sided SPDs. Classic silver. Worked fine but wore out.

Bebop double sided with lots of float, external cleats that while 2-hole weren't very walkable. Cleat life was horrible (like 3000 miles a set) so I abandoned them after two pairs of cleats.

Shimano PD-M540 double sided in classic silver. I'd say they work fine but I've been getting a numb spot in my right toes after riding much over an hour. They're no different than the other SPDs so I don't think its the pedals. Could be that I changed shoes and got the cleats in a slightly different place. Could be because I broke my right leg and seem to ride a little more duck-footed on that side. COuld be because I stretched a nerve when I did that.

$51 with free shipping via amazon prime
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I expect the $32 PD-M520s would have worked as well, although they are not classic silver which is about the same color as the underlying aluminum which will be showing after you chew it up with steel SPD cleats

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-M52...shimano+PD-520

as a foot note, getting into the single sided pedals was more reliable than the double sided ones provided the bearings turned freely because the pedals would always hang with the same heavy spot down while the double sided pedals are balanced and stay in whatever position they end up in.

I like the M530's for the dual entry, but is it that important?
It can be counter-productive for getting into them, although with twice the surfaces the pedals should take twice as long to wear out.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 02-13-14 at 12:02 AM.