View Single Post
Old 02-13-14, 01:26 PM
Erwin8r

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dermbrian
I don't know about that. I share his wish to gain a few mph, as long as the ride is still enjoyable and not a struggle and full-on effort to keep up with the other riders involved.

I am 200 pounds, 6'2", 58 years old and able to run, albeit slowly, a couple of miles any time I want.

Yesterday, I put 12 miles on my hybrid, averaging less than 11 mph on pretty much flat urban concrete multi-use trail at what I considered a good pace for me....an exercise pace. I have a bike that I believe fits me well, has street tires (not mountain bike...), and is maintained well. Someone that appeared to be heavy for his height passed me on a mountain bike with wider tires, knees out to the sides, easily doing 3-4 mph faster than me without any signs that he was trying hard. Is it me? Is it my bike? Is it the Wald baskets and other things that probably add 15 pounds to my bike? Would I be faster on a Craigslist $150 Miyata 110 (like I was checking out today for this very reason)?

I'm thinking about getting something like that Miyata just for organized bike rides. I really have no use for a faster bike for any day-in, day-out bike riding. I enjoy the utility and practicality of the one I have.

Brian
Hmmm.... A skinny tired hybrid should should have no issue keeping a pace above 10 mph on flat stuff. My slick - equipped MTB gets me a 12mph average with some nice hills thrown in. Have you tried achieving a higher speed and holding it there for a while? Results?