Old 02-13-14, 02:14 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Chitown_Mike
Is the platform that my foot pushes against that important to have a wider base to? Or will a small, technically mountain bike style, pedal work just as well? I can see how a wide pedal means more power transfer, and how on a MTB you aren't looking for a lot of power transfer just to be held onto the bike, but obviously on the road that is different. And I don't want to have 2 sets of cleats for 2 bikes, so SPD-SL isn't in the picture right now. Since we are bigger folks would there be a benefit to the wider pedal? Or will I not notice a difference? Will numb toes and hot spots creep in if I go with a smaller, MTB oriented pedal?

The last options I was looking at is the M520 and M540 pedals. They are really small so it would just be a place to clip in, and aesthetically they aren't very pleasing.

So, what say ye my fellow clip-less Clyde riders?
You are mistaken about mountain bike pedals. The aren't just something to hold you onto the bike. Mountain bikes have to put as much to the tires as a road bike, perhaps more. Part of the reason that the pedals are small are because the cleat and the fact that you are likely to have to walk on the shoe much more often and in worse conditions than you do would with a road bike shoe. The other part is clearance. An overly wide pedal on a mountain bike is going to hit things on the side of trails. A smaller pedal lets you get closer to rocks without strikes that could throw you off the bike.

Personally, I use mostly M520s on everything from mountain bikes to fast road bikes. They are cheap, durable and relatively light. I have a couple of bikes with XT level pedals and one with Xpedo pedals. None of them perform any better than the M520 and cost more.

I've also tried the A520 or, rather, I had my wife try it first. After she tried it and told me how bad it was I tried it. It was the single worst pedal I've ever used. The retention system hangs down when I unclicked. This puts your foot on the underside of the pedal which is extremely slick. I hate having to fiddle with flipping pedals (another advantage of mountain bike pedals) but I hate slipping off the pedals even more.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!