Old 02-17-14, 07:26 PM
zs3889

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chicago Al
That is a Centurion 'Dave Scott' Ironman Expert from 1989. It's a very nice bike. I had one, and if that one was local to me I'd be on my way to buy it rather than writing here.

The wheels have been changed out, the front having a Campagnolo Record hub; the rear is something Shimano. The Campy one is arguably an upgrade, maybe not the back.

I would not say this is necessarily the best commuter. It was sold as a racing bike back in the day. Will you be comfortable with the 'drop' handlebars? It could be adapted for more casual riding in an upright position of course but that is more work and expense.

Most importantly of all, it's a fairly small size, 52cm, and while that would fit me fine (5'6") will it fit you? It was being ridden by someone who was too tall for it--you can tell by how much seatpost is exposed.

It may need work, might have problems, but does look well cared for. $200 is a good deal.

Thanks for your input! I have set up a time with the seller tomorrow to check out the bike! I am hoping the bike would fit me well and I will definitely be riding the bike home if all goes well. Any tips on checking the bike before making my decision?