View Single Post
Old 02-17-14, 10:23 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I'm willing to have weights at home but no bench. I don't want to join a gym, either, and I won't have a spotter. My wife is too small to spot me. Maybe my daughter could spot me occasionally. What kind of program can I realistically do? Not having a spotter should reduce the amount of weight I can lift safely, right?

And is there a way to do leg presses without equipment?

Sorry my parameters are so tight. Maybe you can talk me into changing my mind.
If you really want to go with a home style setup and you will be on your own, invest in a power cage style setup. They have the safety catches that Quinn mentions. I have gone down this route because every gym in my town is frequented by meatheads who like to pretend to lift heavy and occupy the few pieces of equipment I need for extended periods while they chat and check their phones. For the price of 1 1/2 yrs gym membership at the time I purchased a brand new Chinese power cage after doing a bit of research to know I wasn't getting plain junk. It came with a bench and 190kg of weights plus the bar. I found the limits of the bar last winter when I bent it a tad, but other than that, it has served me well and saved me a lot of money on gym memberships. A new higher quality bar will not be cheap, but will still see me coming out on top over the gym costs.

I have the privelege of having a large shed to play in and so the room occupied is fine. A nice concrete floor with a couple of heavy rubber gym floor mats to take care of the dropping weights.