New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
How strange!

Why would you want to be fat?
And why would anyone want to stop doing something that is fun, exhilarating, and good for you (exercise) at the halfway point of your life?

Sounds to me that education is what's needed ... someone to tell people in that area that it is OK to get up and move.
I was a bit unclear.They/we don't want to be fat,but they love food and don't exercise+ eat lots of fast food and lots of soft drinks+ fair amount of beer.

Now why don't folks in the south like to exercise? I don't know.
Of course most exercise isn't fun-bike riding is fun but many forms of formal exercise certainly aren't fun.
And it is HOT and MUGGY here 7 months a year (over 75 yesterday after being in the 30's 5 days ago)-so for most folks that rules out riding to work.
I just don't know why folks in the south are more overweight?
Perhaps it is as simple as the temperature humidity?
But in general the south is poorly educated-and to some degree there is still an anti-education bias
A writer- national columnist-Rasberry??-suggested that blacks had gotten the anti education bias(and other mores) from the "po southern whites" they interacted with "not trusting college boys" is a theme in many movies based in the south
They were big on grains(farmers) and lived on the edge especially after the civil war-so over eating-perhaps it is a natural response to near starvation buried in their cultural memory??
But french love to eat-and they aren't fat-and safe bet fair numbers of them were close to the edge during WW2-but that was just 5 years-the south was devastated after the war-and hit by various natural problems-floods drought crop pests malaria yellow fever

Obviously I have no idea why we are fat and don't exercise(it is HOT and you sweat IMMEDIATELY when you walk outside 7 months of the year-maybe the simplest explanation is IT)
Just don't know the why.
But that chart-thanks to Bcarfree-makes it clear-the south is more overweight than other parts of country-but I see a clod weather state(MICHIGAN?) is as "fat" so there goes the "too hot to exercise" hypothesis-
and it isn't clearly poverty-since my guess is the cold state-Michigan- is more affluent?

Last edited by phoebeisis; 02-19-14 at 07:22 AM.