Old 02-19-14, 03:13 PM
RoboCheme

Bikes: 2008 Cervelo RS, 2011 Scott CR1 Elite, 2014 Volagi Liscio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jackmen
I have been riding a CF Monocoque framed DI-2 bike for 2 years with deep carbon wheels and I love the set up except the braking. As you are aware carbon rims and braking are just not areal good combination. squeaks, modulation and pulsing, bad in wet conditions, etc.

I feel the solution long term is definitely hydraulic disc brakes. I have them on my 29er and they are awesome. In researching availability, there are not very many available with them in a road frame. With the new shimano R785 brakes with the shimano brifters set up for the hydraulics, they have got great reviews by everybody I have read.

I see them as the ultimate solution as you can run deep light carbon wheels and not worry about the rim brake interface. This will allow you to get very reasonable wheels and not have to worry about them. (welcome relief from over priced zipps at 2800 a set).

What I have found is because shimano really just started shipping them at the first of the year, very few bike manufacturers adopted them. Hopefully some secondary brands will adopt them to give us more selection. All the bikes appear to be very pricey. Here's what I found with both discs and the shimano DI-2, which I now regard as a necessity:

Orbea avant M10D $5699
Bianchi Infinito $8000
Specialized Roubiax SL-4 expert $6800

I don't find much else out there right now and as you can see they are all pricey. Shimano has done their brakes right, but it appears that they are pretty pricey right now. In looking at them for components the brakes and shifters together are selling for about $700, plus I've heard the discs are nearly 100 a peice, so looks like 900 for a fully equipped set up on a bike.

The weight penalty is about 320 grams over regular ultegra, not bad at .75 pounds, not a deal breaker.

I am hoping some second tier bike manufacturer will come out with a CF framed DI-2 bike in comfort geometry for less than $5700.

Discs are definitely the future for road bikes it just may take a while that there is more selection and the price gets more reasonable.

If anybody else has found any other models out there equiped with DI-2 & shimano Hydraulic discs , please give us a post.
There is also the BMC Granfondo GF01 Disc. $8000 for UDi2