Old 02-20-14, 07:39 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 273 Posts
We have the District/Regional Senior qualifiers at our Speedway and I've timed the event several times. If the event where you are is like ours, your chances of at least moving on to the State competition should be very, very good. There are a lot of people who come out just for the fun of it and are not really serious about it. There are usually only a few who are pretty serious. We have folks who ride in jeans and boots, baskets on their bikes and wave the crowd as they come by etc. Hey, it's Seniors acting like kids again!

I've put on our local Time Trial Series for several years and there are some very, very good older time trialists out there. So, if you think you really want to pursue it you need to get more aero unless you are of a Pro caliber rider. We do a 10 mile event for our series. What I found was that a Time Trial bike that puts you in a better aero position and pushed more forward on the bars saved about one minute over a 25 minute 10 mile Time Trial. The aero wheels made specifically for TT's, a rear disc and either a 800 deep rim on the front or a 3-bladed front wheel save yet another 1 minute off a 24 minute TT. Skin Suits and TT Helmets help some but you can probably save that cash unless you are trying to squeeze out the very last watts and are already super competitive with others. We have a local wind tunnel and it is interesting to see how equipment's aero dynamics varies by people and position on the bike.

You can get in a very good competitive aero bike and wheels for under $3000......and even about half of that if you pick up some used equipment which is what I'd recommend. If you are like me you are not going to ride your TT bike that much anyway so why spend mega bucks on something you rarely use.

For starters you can simply get clip on aero bars and a fast forward seat post. Try and drop your bars as low as you can on your road bike with that set up. I bought a cheap Renn rear disc wheel and a HED 3 spoke front wheel off ebay pretty cheap. You could just buy the wheels, clipons and seat post and convert your road bike for an event. That takes about 45 mins. If you get more serious you could spend more money on a TT frame.

Let me know if I can be of any help. If we are able to get our TT series going at Charlotte Motor Speedway again this year we do one event a month April-September. You are welcome to experiment at our event. We're still hopeful to have the event but are trying to work through some financial issues first.