Old 02-22-14, 12:45 AM
Wbaumgartner17

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weight Loss Surgery and "Epic" touring question.

Help, I have been trying to find people who have had Weight Loss Surgery and went on to do cross country bicycle touring. I have looked through the threads on this and many other sites and have not ben able to find an answer.

First of all this thread isn't intended to debate the pro's and con's of Weight Loss Surgery. I understand the "actions" vs "consequences" of the surgery. I am looking for the long term affects on bicycle tourists.

I have been overweight my entire adult life, 5'7"/ #300 , and starting to have health issues. Up until I left the Navy, I was riding almost every day I could. Enter a real job and raising a family... The bike riding went on the back burner until the kids were moved out of the house 2 years ago. I bought my new bike when the kids left and am combining biking with photography. I am retiring in a few years and plan on touring the country by bicycle.

With that said, here goes...

Has anybody had Weight Loss Surgery and gone on to ride an "Epic" bike ride? If so how do you manage calories out vs in. I know that post surgery it wil be hard to consume lots of calories. Is it even managable? I know people will run marathons after surgery, but that is not even comparable to the calories burned daily for weeks on end.

If anybody has had any experience in this (good or bad) I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,
bb