View Single Post
Old 02-24-14, 11:12 AM
Trackliche

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jods
So who's going to star at this years worlds?
Anyone got any predictions?

Will anyone beat Francois Pervis in the Kilo, or the GB womens Team Pursuit?
I am really excited about this WC. I'm of the type that just loves to see winners- so we're in for a show no matter what. I enjoy seeing teams like GB completely dominate, but am equally entertained when underdogs break their chains and sink their teeth into top places.
I would love to see the well-oiled GB organization continue to produce top talent, thus underlining the effectiveness of their program. It's easy to think that Wiggo, Hoy, Maclean, Staff, Clancy, etc. were all just in the right place at the right time. If their success can be truly transitioned to the new generation (as already seems to be the case with Trott, Hindes, James, ladies' pursuit, etc.), it can be hardly denied that the structure and process is responsible for identifying, developing, or otherwise creating truly top-class talent.
On the other hand if Team GB has failed to keep ahead of the curve, or hits a slump, or otherwise falls apart, I would find it equally titillating were the Dutch, or the French, or the Aussies (or, 30 pieces of silver richer, the Americans) to power clean the Brits off the podium.

All that said, I'm personally looking forward to the performance of the South African, Bernard Esterhuizen. I've had the opportunity to see him do some riding as of late, and like to watch people I've met race on TV. So while I'm not expecting him to burst forth into stardom with new records, I hope his recent work will pay off with some solid improvement.

It's all been stating the obvious, but that's what internet forums are for. Right?

-TC