View Single Post
Old 02-26-14, 12:55 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
Heres a question I'm considering building another contender, does it count if it is has 8speed fairly nice STI brifters and a decent 700c wheelset? Got the wheelset out of a dumpster needed a little TLC and brought the 8speed stuff at a yard sale for $20. I have just the frame in mind for this insanity a purple Sakai 4000 with realy nice paint.
I think that's fair game. But I may be a little biased, since my own entry will be sporting some gently-used tires+tubes and a rear rack that came in a yard sale box along with a pair of ancient aero bars, two bells and a basket for a total of $20. I'm half tempted to actually put all that crap on this bike, just because it came so cheap. But the thing is already over 30 lbs, and I don't want to push much more than that on a century ride, which I think is the best way to approach this challenge.

Meanwhile, I have a rear derailleur decision to make:

I was thinking of going with an extremely scratched late-90s Shimano 105, but that seemed seemed sort of like cheating. Maybe a bit like a successful dentist or realtor who puts on some filthy clothes and goes down to the welfare office try to collect an unemployment check? Banged up as it is, I'll probably have to reject the 105, since it's arguably worth around $15 at a swap meet, even its current condition. This is just a tad highbrow for this particular build.

The other two choices are, pictured on the right, a slightly used Shimano Tourney MegaRange, nearly one pound of brobdingnagian engineering writ large in steel and plastic (What a bulletproof behemoth! And since these things come new from various eBay sellers at around $15 - including shipping - I feel no compunction against listing its swap meet value at around $7) and on the left, the legendary Shimano RD-TY20 (which you've never heard of because it's just a junk derailleur that came on Wal*Mart bikes way back when Wal*Mart was just a corner drug store in some butthole backwater of Arkansas.) Swap meet value, maybe $1?

Right now, I'm leaning towards the RD-TY20, not only for the general rusty crappiness of the thing, but because it weights less and probably works just as well. Also, the RD-TY20 has a cage that's slightly bent inwards. Not yet ready to do the Dance-Of-Death-With-The Spokes, but close enough to keep things interesting.

Anyone want to offer their input?
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Last edited by Lascauxcaveman; 02-26-14 at 01:07 AM.