Old 02-27-14, 04:34 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by trike_guy
Well! Turns out that I am also a year rounder, and currently doing that on a trike (a Nihola) because it helps makes things smooth with picking up and dropping off kids. (Bad mood this morning? Who cares, into the box and we're going!)

I'd say it actually is pretty safe, and not usually too slow, though there are tradeoffs. There is more rolling resistance breaking three tire tracks through snow, but also no problem with stability on a shifting base. There is no problem slipping and falling, but at least on a tadpole trike there is less weight (as a percentage) on the powered tire, making it easier to spin. (For that reason, I use pannier bags and leave the box empty while in commute mode.) You can use the front brakes aggressively (on a tadpole) but its also possible to slide sideways without that being the idea (for example when locking the rear tire). Also three wheels can mean benefiting less from other bikes breaking trail, and its heavier to move around by pushing, pulling or lifting... but you get off the saddle less because you can often rock and dig through spots at speeds too low for a 2-wheeler.
That's very good information! I wish it was in a thread about trikes so it would be more easily accessible to people with an interest in trikes.

In fact I think I will start a trike thread. Would you be willing to participate? And maybe paste this post into the new thread?

"Think Outside the Cage"