Old 02-27-14, 10:33 PM
hzuiel

Bikes: 1993 Schwinn Paramount R50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mountain bike for longer distance riding with an overweight rider?

I am a fat man(300lb ballpark) looking to train, lose weight, and start commuting to work, which will be a 24 mile round trip. Other long distance riding may be a possibility as well. As a larger person, I see full suspension and disc brakes as an absolute necessity, and I can only find these features in a mountain bike. I would also assume a bike meant for rough terrain and possible jumps must be more sturdy in the same price range(of course varying on a case by case basis.)

How much of a disadvantage for a long commute will I be at with a mountain bike?
Am I thinking incorrectly that full suspension would be better for myself and the bike going over bumps with so much weight involved? Considering the weight involved disc brakes just seem like they would be so much safer in a panic braking situation, is that all in my head?

Suggestions on bike styles or even specific bikes welcome. I'm trying to keep my shopping to amazon because of amazon prime, and financing options. Trying to stay to a reasonable budget(around 500-700), no 5000 professional racing bike in my near future.

Last edited by hzuiel; 02-27-14 at 10:40 PM.