Old 02-28-14, 07:15 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt S
. . . What has me stumped is where the serial number is on this Kuwahara Alley Cat II. I've looked on the seat tube by the front derailleur, along the chain stays, head tube, down tube, and a cursory glance at the seat stays and have seen no serial number on it. Maybe I have just missed it and it is in a really obvious location that will make me feel stupid?

Hi Matt,

I believe that an Alley Cat II is a USA model. I am not that familiar with the USA models.

In Canada most of the Osaka Japan Kuwahara MTBs from the 1980s have the serial number vertically on the seat tube, non-drive side, where the FD is attached.

Sometimes it was put on the bottom of the BB shell.

The format is YY MM #####. The characters are smaller, not as large as those stamped for most other manufacturers serial numbers. The stamping on the BB shell, difficult to read all the characters sometimes.

You said 1986, and that looks about right compared to the bikes I've seen.

Some of the Taiwan made Kuwahara MTBs, starting about 1990, had the serial number vertically on the head tube.

Some other Kuwahara MTBs, had the serial number on the lower downtube, topside or bottomside.

I have seen one repainted Kuwahara MTB where I could not find the serial number.