Old 03-01-14, 08:17 AM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Questions about riding in sand

Background: riding for years and years, 2nd year racing on the road, both crits and rrs. Just started getting into mtn biking and prepping for a 50 mile race in April.

I live in the desert so we have hardpack trails that will have very soft sand (washes and such) here and there. I am fine riding straight across very sandy areas. I spin fast in a low gear, plus low pressure Geax Saguaros are great for this terrain.

Here is my trouble:

1. Tight turns in which the sand increases in thickness towards the outer radius. Usually, the inside line is several inches thick with very fine sand and the outer edge can be 12 inches or more. Often ruts and jeep tire lines make the turn very uneven throughout. I feel like my front end is going to go into the sand and just get buried. I almost want to bomb into the turn with my weight rearward and skid the rear slightly and then smoothly ramp up the speed to regain traction on the exit. What is the correct technique here?

2. Drop off’s into a thick sandy wash when i have speed. Frankly, I came across this yesterday and just walked the bike. I felt that if I launched off and landed with both wheels at the same time, I would be sunk so far into the sand that I’d stop. What is the correct technique here.

3. Drop off’s into a thick sandy wash when i don’t have speed. If it wasn’t sandy, I’d thrust myself far back over the rear wheel, creeping into the drop or try to pull a wheelie into the drop. What is the correct technique here?

Cheers for any help.