View Single Post
Old 03-01-14, 11:36 PM
Duane Behrens

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac (carbon), Specialized Roubaix (carbon, wifey), Raleigh Super Course (my favorite), and 2 Centurion project bikes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I get the bike back, I'll check for a countersunk side to the small chain ring. I don't recall seeing one; pretty sure it would have been obvious. Anyway, I eventually sussed out the proper direction by looking at the wear on the teeth. A bit more wear was visible on one side of most teeth, indicating the back side of the rotation. ODDLY, the LBS said I still had it backwards and turned it back the other way. Grinning now. I'll post pictures when I get it back.

The FD and chain rings DID work correctly before I took it apart. However, the BB was clearly loose. Cranks had play and there was an occasional "caChunk" noise from the spindle Which is why I took the BB apart. The bearings were worn - tiny little scars and flattening visible on most of the caged bearings. And as noted, the lock ring was almost off and the lefthand threaded cup was loose.

No other changes, and I didn't try to adjust the RD until after the chainring swap didn't make a difference. Can't take the measurements until the bike comes back. Sugino MP crank. Pic shown is as purchased. Thanks. DB

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Sugino MP.JPG (98.4 KB, 9 views)