Old 03-03-14, 11:52 AM
mrtuttle04

Bikes: Trek Verve 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fat Boy
My argument isn't a straw man at all. The smoke points of some olive oils can be as low as 200 degrees F. It's difficult to cook much and stay below that. If you want to avoid some carcinogens, you're better off choosing another option to cook with. Olive oil is great on salads, but I'm happy to leave it to that duty.

I think you misunderstood my comment about 'evil' saturated fats. I don't think their evil at all and, in fact, I think they can be quite beneficial.
1. I fully understood your "evil" comment and that is what I am calling your straw man argument. You are implying that because I cook with Olive oil, I beleive that saturated fats are evil. I did not say that and as my previous post noted I do not beleive that. You were the one that brought the word the word evli into the discussion not I.

As far as your case against olive oil, we will have to agree to disagree. Since I started cooking with olive oil I have lost over 60 pounds, my blood pressure has come down to where is should be and I am no longer taking blood pressure medicine and my cholsterol has also come down to where it should be. I saw my doctor last week and he said that I was his "poster child" for tunring around my health. I know that it was more than just cooking with olive oil but cooking with olive oil certainly a part of it.

As far as your asertion that the smoking point of olive oil is 200 degrees F, where dou you get that number? That would put the smoking point of olive oil below the boiling point of water which is certainly not the case. If you said 200 degrees C that would be about right. I use extra virgin olive oil which has a smoke point of around 375 degrees F.