Mike J

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot PX-50L, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1974 Peugeot PX-8

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by satbuilder
Hey all,

I'm not sure what these things are called. Basically it's something that sits in the rear dropout behind the wheel. Usually seen on Simplex type dropouts in early to mid '70's mid to high end road bikes. I've seen them on PX-10's, Gitane Tour de France's and the like.

Can anybody tell me what these things are called?

Thanks,

Kurt
They're basically called chain-tension adjusters, same application as in a motorcycle's rear wheel, except for motorcycles it's not a "stop", but also a device to secure the wheel from moving forward or backwards and to adjust the alignment of the wheel to be parallel to the bike's centerline. It keeps the wheel from being skewed to one side, therefore losing speed and power due to tires scrubbing a bit sideways.

I just call them rear axle adjusters. I checked to see if I could send you a link, but I couldn't find the term in Sheldon Brown's website.

My 85 Ciocc has those. It makes it easier to get the rear wheel in place, since all I have to do is push the rear axle back firmly and it's in place, then just flop the Q/R skewer. The wheel will always be in the same place, every time. A benefit is that the adjuster acts as a chain-tensioner, since it gives you a range of play in the dropout placement of the axle. Screw barely out, the chain is at max stretch, screw all the way out, and you have the chain with a bit more play/slack in it.