View Single Post
Old 03-04-14, 01:03 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
One idea that has intrigued me recently is the idea of putting a Sturmey Archer s3x into a folding bike like a Montague Boston. I'd actually probably use a flywheel with it since the goal would be versatility. The s3x looks like it's a bit more durable than other IGH hubs too.

Thinking about it, the only problem I can think of is that during folding, the cable tension to the hub in the rear wheel might be interrupted, which would ruin the hub setup. Of course, the Boston 8 exists, which uses an 8 speed internal hub. In my imagining of the bike, I'd use bullhorns which would fold down during transport...

So, is that a problem?
If they don't have issues with the 8sp IGH version, why would you have issues with an S3X build, assuming you run housing similar to their stock 8sp model? You may run into issues if you get the single-speed frame and it doesn't have the integrated cable stops of the 8sp frame. But still, once the bike is assembled, cable tension should snap back to where it's supposed to be...

Do some research on the type of freewheel you need for the S3X as well -- I've only used them fixed, but I know there are specific brands or configurations of freewheel you need to make it work for this hub.