View Single Post
Old 03-04-14, 07:26 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
OK who would buy a Specialized Crosstrail Pro Disc for $1,980? I could almost buy a Stumpjumper for that money. The Crosstrail comes with a low end SunTour fork. Am I missing something?
Hmmmm ... interesting question. How one might answer it depends in part on how one reads your intention in asking it. There are two possibilities: you might have looked closely at the spec., and thought that 1980 U.S. is somewhat high for that particular bike? Or, you might be trolling here, and asking the question on the assumption that -- in your opinion -- no one in his/her right mind would pay 1980 U.S. for a "mere hybrid". I'm not for a moment assuming the latter is the case, but it is a possibility; there have been a number of posts very recently on threads here that are predicated on that assumption.

Assuming the former intention, I would answer this way. I'm not at present in the market for such a bike, but if I were something like the Sirrus Crosstrail Pro would be high on my list; I would be representative of its target market.

However, I would probably not buy it for several reasons. First, I think Specialized bikes are in general somewhat overpriced (and I'm a Specialized owner); this is particularly the case here in Canada. Second, the fork. You characterize it as "low end". It is not. It is in fact a perfectly good 'trekking' fork (to use Euro terminology), with hydraulic rebound/damping/lockout. However, at this price level it should be the air-spring, not coil, version. Third, like many Specialized bicycles (my Sirrus included), it is supplied with a crap headset and mediocre wheelset. At that price, one is entitled to expect a sealed cartridge-bearing headset and hubs. However, the frame appears excellent, so too the drivetrain and brakes. So, my opinion would be that it is a very good bike, but that Specialized is asking an "excellent bike" price. In Canada, we get a version between the Comp and the Pro -- the 'Expert' -- which itself is probably overpriced and (haven't checked) priced at what the 'Pro' should be priced.

Back to that fork, and your reference to a Stumpjumper (or Crave Pro for that matter). Someone looking at this (Crosstrail) wouldn't ordinarily be looking at a 29er. A Stumpjumper is intended to be used as a mountain bike; its geometry and general orientation reflect that. The Crosstrails are intended to be 'cross terrain' bikes; their geometry and general orientation reflect that. They are more efficient on-road than would be a 29er (even with road tires) -- less efficient off-road but still capable of light-to-medium off-road. To my mind, that is a perfectly legitimate and appealing orientation. That is one reason I detest the term 'hybrid', and prefer the European term 'cross bike' for these bikes.

In Europe they are treated as a serious choice; consequently, very high-end examples are easily available. Example:

http://www.cube.eu/en/bikes/tour/tonopah/tonopah-sl/

One might note that the fork is still a Suntour trekking fork, but here (properly) an air-spring version, probably with the OEM aluminum steerer option. That (the Cube) is what, to my mind, a $2000+/- cross ('hybrid') should be.

More generally, the question Lopek77 raises aside -- and it is a legitimate question, I see nothing odd about paying a premium price for a premium 'cross' bike (not this one!), any more than I would for either an mtb or a road bike. I realize that in North America that is a minority opinion, but there it is.