View Single Post
Old 03-05-14, 09:22 AM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by arex
I've gotten four different pairs of old Weinmann brakes to try on my Raleigh build, and test-fitting them shows them all to work, give or take. My dumb question du jour is...

I've got two pairs of dual-pivot center-pulls, and two pairs of single-pivot side-pulls. What are the pros and cons of each? I understand that the dual-pivots brake better, but I see people griping about them as being undesirable in some way, so I'm wondering.
Bumping.

I sat down and tore down all the calipers last night, cleaned and lubricated them, so they're all ready to use. Replaced the thin and worn washers between the arms with slightly thicker stainless washers. I have a pair of Weinmann 610 center-pulls, a 610/750 pair of center-pulls (using the 750 in the rear), a pair of 500 side-pulls, and a pair of 730 side-pulls.

I like the aesthetics of the side-pulls, but worry that they won't be grabby enough. I wouldn't mind using the center-pulls, but I'd like to hear any misgivings about them...personally, I don't see a downside to them, but up until now I've only ever worked with cantilever brakes, so my opinion of center-pulls lacks a certain validity.