View Single Post
Old 03-05-14, 10:33 AM
overbyte

Bikes: 3 folders, 2 recumbents (1 is electric), 1 recumbent trike, 1 touring, 1 mountain, 1 road bike -- So many bicycles, so little time.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Azreal911
Looking at the measurements on the link where you bought the bike it's extremely tiny and you might as well throw it into a ikea blue bag on amtrak. At that size no one would even think it's a bicycle and think you just went shopping.
I agree that it's not necessary to pack the bike for Amtrak unless you want to check it as checked-baggage. The photos and videos show that people have used a sort-of skirt rather than a bag, so that the bottom remains open for rolling and the top has an opening for gripping the bike to carry it, and still the bike is covered. Amtrak allows carry-on folding bikes and I've taken mine even without any covering, but of course it has to be a clean bike. I could just take a re-usable shopping bag with the carrying straps removed, turn it upside down so the opening is down, cut a hole for the handle access, and slip the bag over the bike rather than putting it into a bag in the normal way. That way the adjacent luggage won't contact the bike itself and the rolling features can still be used.

At stores and restaurants, the bike could be covered and brought right in, perhaps in the shopping basket at a market. I've seen people doing that with Bromptons. One of the seller's photos shows a man at a restaurant with this bike folded and resting next to his feet under the table. Very do-able. Covering it with a slip-on cover would be more courteous to the restaurant management and patrons.