View Single Post
Old 03-06-14, 04:19 PM
cdp8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Taco, our local mountains do not receive regular/constant rain like the mountains in NW. It's been over 2 years since SoCal has had a storm system like that move through. Our local mountains don't like heavy rain; mudslides and landslides are common. You mentioned whiteout and avalanches as the only thing that stops SAR in the NW. Well, Saddleback was encased in storm clouds and look over at STR, someone posted pics of fallen trees and other debris from a trail near the Main Divide that Mr. Marin rode. You should know by now having been here for nearly four years that these mountains are dangerous even in good weather. In April 2013, in good weather, two people (a volunteer SAR and a reserve Deputy) suffered severe injuries on the western side of the Santa Ana's while searching for two lost teenagers. The risks are very real and I am glad the decision makers take those risks seriously.

Should rescuers consider whether the victim chose the risk? No. I think you are over reacting to what you have read; I don't see that. Everyone agrees it was Mr. Marin's bad decisions that put him in harms way; I don't think I've read a comment that said SAR should not attempt a rescue because of that. However, should the person(s) in charge of rescue consider the likelihood of a successful rescue vs. the risk of injury to personnel sent into perform the rescue? Absolutely.