View Single Post
Old 03-06-14, 08:49 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Schwinn isn't what it used to be, but that's not the main point IMHO. The main point is that there's no way for neophytes to buy a bike at Walmart and know what size to buy, how to position the seat, etc. Schwinn is sold at LBS, but I don't think Huffy is. If they OP wants to buy a Schwinn at his LBS, that might work out fine.

Again, fit is more important than brand, and nobody at a big box store is going to know what the hell they are talking about when selling bikes.
Again, just not so. I've been in bike shops where the staff hadn't a clue. Oh, they could rattle off the prescribed spiel. But they didn't know much more. On the other hand I've been in box stores where the staff knew their product and could offer good advice.

For a rank beginner as the OP appears to be precise, to the last mm fit isn't nearly as important as it is to many of the aficionados like you seem to be. IF they like cycling they will find a way to buy "nicer" bikes appropriate to whatever they do.

REI is a good idea. They usually, but not always, have good staff. With sales might be able to score.